Tuesday, October 20, 2009

pocketship arrives





And then on a warm summer day early in September it arrived. The UPS man drove his very large truck down the alley and off-loaded the 550 lb. box.

Imagine one of those wooden model airplane kits with all the perfect little pieces you would punch out and glue together (I did this a lot when I was Ben’s age). Then imagine a boat instead of an airplane and Jack discovering the giant’s model boat box at the top of his beanstalk. I was Jack. And the magic beans...well that is a much longer story and although we did not have to sell our cow..hey it’s the fall of all falls, starting last fall 2008.

Back to the boat...

I spent a day organizing the 4x8 sheets of marine plywood containing the giant’s punch out parts. It took another week to realize how many bits were not there and that I was expected to make myself. Little things like the tiller and mast, the boom and rudder, all the rigging, the deck, spars and companion way (hatch)...and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment