Tuesday, November 10, 2009

On the smelting of Lead...





The earliest evidence of smelting lead was discovered in Anatolia, Turkey and dates back to 6500 BC. This is the sort of statement people confidently make in the early 21st century because Jimmy Wales discovered Wikipedia.

From what I’ve read about smelting lead I’m not entirely convinced that it was a great evolutionary leap. Indeed, I would not be surprised if it stunted growth, reduced brain size and caused unpleasant skin legions.

I’ve noticed on my boat building forum that everyone building one of these boats is a man. This may explain the capable, deductive, experienced, reasoned exchanges regarding the melting of lead in your backyard, to forge the keel that will be your boat.

Are they fucking crazy?

The going wisdom is to visit your local tire dealer and collect the little weights they put on wheels to balance them. I, of course, warm to the community-centered spirit. Having enriched and expanded the connection I have to my local tire dealer and secured a couple of hundred pounds of wheel weights I plan my smelter. I buy a high-powered propane burner, cast iron kettle and slotted spoon (to skim the dross, of course). Respirator ready, fire extinguisher and welders gloves all set out on the deck.

As it turns out, there isn’t very much lead in tire weights. They may be cheap, or even free, to aquire but they smoke and congeal and spit out toxic additives I don’t even want to think about. I immediately go down to McGuckins, my locally owned hardware store, and purchase $246 dollars of pure lead-shot, neatly packaged in 25lb bags. It goes well. I fill my keel and centerboard and hope I never have to do anything like this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment